The Grand is always looking for new persons to participate as directors, actors, costumers, stage hands,technical assistance and virtually all phases of the theater. In many cases no experience is necessary. Your interest, enthusiasm and dedication are of primary importance. There are positions that do require a high level of experience.
- UshersThis dedicated corps of volunteers assemble in the theater about one hour before curtain time. They take tickets & direct patrons to their proper seats. Then, they settle back to enjoy the show. At intermission, they are available to answer patrons’ questions. After the show, ushers do a basic cleanup of the auditorium and go home with the satisfaction that they’ve helped sustain the operation of our historic theater and enjoyed a good show for free. Ushers must be neat, friendly and have the ability to always project a happy, positive image of the Grand for all our patrons. Remember the customer is always right, even if they’re wrong.
- ConcessionsThis group also meets one hour before curtain time to sell candy, soda, bottled water and popcorn. Can you make change and project a warm and friendly attitude to our patrons? Then you’d probably make a good concession stand volunteer. Joan Mest supervises our concession stand volunteers. She would be happy to visit with you if you’re interested.
- PropsLynda Mackie is in charge of properties (props) for Grand Productions. She researches scripts and then searches through our prop room, second hand stores, etc. for the items she needs. Lynda would love to have your assistance. Call the Grand for more information on how you can help.
- Technical AssistanceWorking under the supervision of Tracey Richardson, our technical director, many volunteers are needed for set construction and painting, spot lights, sound board and as back stage crew. Some of these jobs require previous experience, but a willingness to learn and take direction is the most important part of these volunteer duties.
- CostumesThe Grand has thousands of costumes, but many more are created for individual shows. If you like to sew or design clothing, Gloria Fitzpatrick, our costume supervisor would love to visit with you. Donations of clothing are always welcome. Please call before you bring items to the Grand.
- PublicityOur publicity in newspaper, billboards and TV is done professionally, but we welcome help in designing and distributing posters. If you’re qualified and interested, we would appreciate your assistance. Megan Gloss leads this committee. We always welcome new ideas to generate publicity for the Grand.
Although we host a wide variety of performances, the Grand Opera House is also a community theater. We value our wonderful volunteer actors, singers and dancers. But, there are many others ways you can participate as a volunteer. Contact the business office at (563) 588-4356 for more information.